Monday, July 06, 2009

Technical Writing Class: 07/06/09

Synthesis: July 6, 2009

Ms. Guba started to break the ice. She discussed Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement and Faulty Reference. Pronoun was defined as a substitute for a previously stated noun called the antecedent. Mrs. Manzano added that we use pronouns to be concise in writing. The reporter stressed that a pronoun must agree with its antecedent in number, person, and gender. She even explained that the pronoun he or him refers to a general noun. To avoid gender bias, it is preferred to use his/her. But, she said that it should not be overused in technical writing. Simply make it plural like ‘Careful writers revise their sentences.’ In technical writing, we should also avoid unexplained pronouns like the expletives and avoid using ‘you’. For example, you should not take drugs without doctor’s prescription. It sounds too informal and appears personalizing. One should be used in this case because it is more standard. Next reporter was Ms. Monte de Ramos who contrasted Present Simple and Present Progressive, and Present Perfect and Past Simple Tenses. She first stated the form of each tense and cited the uses with the help of Mrs. Manzano and participation of the class. In the midst of Kristel’s report, Mrs. Manzano counted the sessions left and scheduled the midterm exam. There are still 3 sessions left before the ME and the final exam will cover the symposium.

In connection with Kristel’s presentation, Mrs. Manzano asked for the 4 basic forms [structure] of every verb. Surprisingly, I was the one whom she asked to complete the present//present participle//past//past participle table. She went out for a while but “I” should complete the table as she arrives. I cannot complete it so I sought help from my classmates. We really had a hard time completing it and what happened was I wrote the word “irregular” at the top of the form for regular past tense verbs. That angered Mrs. Manzano. So, that was my “bengga” moment. I really received hot flying stones. I really can’t reason out why I wrote such. I knew nothing but to swallow myself that time. What was wrong was I asked help from my classmates when I should be the one who must complete it. I really felt bad in this session. I can’t choose what Mrs. Manzano will say to me but I can choose the way I’ll react toward it, and that’s attitude. My attitude was challenged that time. If I won’t experience this, I would learn nothing. So, I just accepted everything. That’s the way it is. Feelings may go up and down, but still the choice to learn prevails.

No comments: