Saturday, September 19, 2009

Practice Teaching @ SICS: 08/12/09

Journal: First Observation

Ms. Cristina C. Clemente, my cooperating teacher (CT), introduced me to her First Year advisory class, I-St. Jude. I was surprised because the students' greeting was totally different from other schools I observed. It was a long heart-warming welcome. "I greet the God in you that is the God in me. Praise be the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Good morning, Ms. Nesperos." Then, I just realized, "Oh! I'm in a Catholic School. No wonder why it is so." Having a seat at the back, I was amazed because the classroom atmosphere is condusive to learning. It has an average number of students that I believe I could handle; it has organized bulletin boards; the room is well-ventilated; and the class has ID passes when a student needs to go to the powder room, canteen, office, store or clinic. I believe I won't have a problem with the school's facilities.

Aside from the students having this welcoming spirit, they are also courteous. I think in every corner of the school especially in the canteen, some students would greet me, "Hi, Miss!" Honestly, I'm adjusting on the way I think whenever I hear their greeting "Miss." Why? I think it's too informal to call a teacher or a female school personnel "Miss" as if she's a stranger. But, since it's their way of greeting female teachers, I have to get rid of the unnecessary feeling.

Even in greeting other female instructors, I have to call them "Miss." I hesitate calling and greeting them so for I feel as if I call them, "Hoy! Miss!" I prefer to say, "Hi, Ma'am!" because that's how we greet our female professors. Well, I really expect a great adjustment being in a Catholic School.

When it comes to my CT, I honestly have this reluctance to approach her because she has a strong personality. I'm a bit hesitant and shy to ask her questions regarding the practice teaching because I don't want to intervene with her affairs especially when she's already teaching her students. I don't want to disturb her in the midst of the class. I just decided the that I would break the ice when she's already available. However, keeping silent won't really answer the big question mark on my head. So, I really have to approach her. Unless I would have the guts to be inquisitive, I won't know how to write the Curriculum Pacing Guide (CPG), I won't know how her standards, and most especially I won't know her more.

In this first observation, I learned that aside from having the mastery of the subject matter and content, a teacher should also master classroom management. As what I have observed from my CT, she has a loud commanding voice which really calls the attention of the class. Aside from having a command, she has also a sense of humor which makes the classroom atmosphere more lively. She is so organized especially in presenting her lessons and instructions.

This day was a great discovery day! From the six classes that I have observed:
  • I-St. Jude (7:10am-8:10am)
  • II-St. Matthias (8:10am-9:10am)
  • I-St.John (9:10am-10:10am)
  • II-St. James (10:30am-11:30am)
  • I-St. Simon (11:30am-12:30pm)
  • II-St. Thomas (1:00pm-2:00pm)
I knew each section's differences from the others and I realized that I should adjust more and prepare more.

No comments: