Saturday, September 19, 2009

Practice Teaching @ SICS: 08/13/09

Journal: 2nd Observation

It's a lecture day, so I witnessed my CT on how she facilitated her lessons in 1st year and 2nd year. In her 1st class, I-St. Jude, I found out that she first discussed the story before going to its elements. So, it's a content - form way of teaching literature. As she discusses Jose Garcia Villa's Footnote to Youth, she integrates values into it and it's vividly seen from her art of questioning. I just remember our literature professor at that moment. Whenever we are having our teaching literature demonstration, our professor always reminds us to enhance our questioning skills because as we elicit answers from the students, they will be able to understand the story in a deeper sense. My CT asked series of questions where she drew out response about the boons and banes of early marriage. When it comes to relationships, students are really participating especially in giving their ideas about it. No wonder na buhay ang dugo nila about it because they are in their adolescent stage.

In II-St. Matthias, the topic was order of adjectives. From my CT's presentation, I got an idea on how to teach the series of adjectives. I love my CT's version of Pinoy Henyo game in which student B will describe the magic word through descriptive adjectives. In I-St.John, my CT asked me to check the students' assignments. For those who don't have any, their diaries will have a "no-assignment-in-English" remark. My CT told me the purpose of doing so. Giving them such remark will serve as an evidence to their parents that they are not doing their homework, and it's a proof in case the parents will question their son or daughter's low grade. Since I already had a background from I-St. John's class in teaching homophones-homographs-heteronyms, my CT asked me to teach it to I-St. Simon. It was a privilege for me because the class that I would be dealing with is a peaceful class according to her, and it's obvious that the class is really cooperative and participative. Before my lecture started, I really felt uneasy and nervous because it is my first time to be in the real field. If I would comment on my performance, I would say that I should boost my confidence more, practice my questioning skills, and be careful with the sequence of the lesson and even mannerisms. It made me feel regretful because I think I still left questions unanswered. So, I crave for more learning and improvement especially in handling different classes with students who have various personalities. I believe, I will finish my practicum and go out from San Isidro Catholic School (SICS) having more passion for this noble profession.

No comments: